Monday, March 8, 2010

Strong Support ~February 22, 2010

Growing up, I had a strong family. My mother and father both supported me in whatever I felt like I would exceed at. First it was dance and tap, then it was to the soccer fields, then I wanted to be a cheerleader so I had to take gymnastics, and finally I settled in on singing. This made them happy because my father is a musician himself and he was able to give me voice lessons every week. Soon, not only was I winning competitions but I was also being hired to sing at special events across the Atlanta area. I was only in middle school at this point so my father worked hard with me to ensure that my future in singing was secure. Once I hit high school, I was put in the top choir, given several solo opportunities and was encouraged to be a part of an a-capella group for the community. With this responsibility and holding down a job, I decided that I could no longer carry on with my singing path that was chosen for me. I was pushed into evening lessons so that when I came home from school and work, I would go straight into a voice lesson with my father. This lead me to my decision in not wanting to sing in college. I was so tired of being told what I can and can not do because of my vocal chords and how they would affect them. When it came time to sign up for college classes, my father looked over my schedual I alid before him and frowned. He told me that he was very surprised to see that I have music no where in my future and asked why. I told him that since I will be a teacher, I wanted to devote all of my time and effort into teaching and what it takes to be a wonderful teacher, so I dropped music because it had nothing to do with my dreams I had for myself. I was expecting frogs to fall from the celiling and for him to be so upset with my decision but instead, he told me how much he supported me and that he was proud of the woman I am becoming. From that day on, I knew that I would always have the unconditional support of my family no matter what the circumstances behind it.

That's all for now!

~Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment