Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Positive or Negative ~ November 9, 2009

I think that this review of the movie “The Box” by Richard Kelly is a mixed review. At first the critic seems hesitant to trust that Kelly had actually made a successful film. Giving him a shadow of a doubt, the critic describes the plot and the controversial ethical dilemma Kelly created for his characters. This part of the review, in my opinion, paints the review as a successful, thought-provoking film, quite able to succeed in the box office. However as soon as the reviewing of the plot of the movie is finished, the critic then goes back to bashing the director. He suggests that this movie is like cramming “Lost”, the TV show, all into a two hour film. Thinking that if he had a thirteen week series of this movie, the critic suggests that the director, Kelly, would be more successful.
The ethical dilemma the main characters were faced with in the movie “The Box” was that they would receive one million dollars if they would push a button and kill a perfect stranger. With the growing fear of no money, the Lewis’ decide that there is no other choice but to push the enticing button. If I were given the same ethical dilemma as the characters in this movie, I could not tell you that I would have chosen the same path as the Lewis’ did. Knowing that I would be paid essentially for killing someone, even though it’s a stranger, would be so much of a burden that I don’t think I could bare. I do not believe that anyone else should have the choice to kill someone, because that person could have done more good for the world in the future as you will ever do in your life. There is no knowing of what people will achieve in the future, so why shut them off now?

That's all for now!

~Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment