Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Summer Job ~ April 5, 2010

With this summer approaching so much faster, it forces me to think about what I will be doing this summer. I have decided to work at a preparatory school called Royal Learners where I will be teaching students who have been held back because if grades. My job description for this particular place is to ensure the safety for all the students I am in charge of, helping students understand crucial concepts for certain areas of study, and making sure that each student excels not only academically but also socially. I have worked at Royal Learners for about 2 years now, starting when I was a senior in High school. As a senior, I was in a program that allowed me to go to school part time and have a part time internship. I learned a lot my first year of working there because I got to shadow a great teacher and mentor to me Mrs. Karen. She not only knew how to make sure that all the kids were taken care of but she made all the kids feel like someone loves them and really cares about what they do. Karen also helped me with my personal life sometimes too. For instance, when my grandmother got diagnosed with breast cancer Karen, herself being a breast cancer patient, told me what to expect and how to help my grandmother. She was a great influence in my decision to pursue a teacher career in the special education area of education. Karen recently passed away just a week before my spring break. She battled breast cancer long and hard and she finally defeated it when she passed away. I will never forget the great lessons that I have learned from her in the past and I will continue to live with her passion towards other children I work with.

That's all for now!

~Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment